Monday, December 10, 2007

Properties of Bamboo Yarn

I know I've talked about Bamboo before, but I feel it is worth going a little more in depth into why I feel this yarn is an excellent choice. There are some cons to using Bamboo, but in my opinion, the pros far outweigh them.

I discussed before Bamboo's anti-bacterial properties. Apparently this stems (no pun intended) from the fact that the bamboo plants themselves can thrive without the use of pesticides. The yarn which results from smashing the bamboo up and making it into fiber that is spun retains those anti-bacterial properties. It retains those properties even after the finished piece is washed multiple times. It also has deodorizing properties. I can attest to that fact, because I have a washcloth I knit from bamboo yarn that I use every day in the shower, and I hang it back up after rinsing it out. I forgot about it for a while while I started to use my shower puff again, and despite being left in the damp shower, the bamboo washcloth did not start to get gross and smell like an old terry cloth would have done.

Bamboo is also soft, easily spun and earth-friendly. Bamboo grows pretty rapidly, so that makes bamboo yarn an easily renewable resource. Again, the fact that no pesticides are needed in the cultivation of the plant makes it earth-friendly as well. I'm not sure about what type of effect the manufacture of bamboo yarn makes on the environment, but already this is ahead of other types of fibers right off the bat. Bamboo yarn is also cruelty-free; obviously it has no connection to any animal products whatsoever, making it a fine choice for those wishing to avoid any animal products whatsoever. In addition, Bamboo yarn is nearly impossible to break by hand.

The only cons I can think of when using Bamboo yarn is that it takes a bit of care to make sure the garment/whatever gets back to its original shape after washing. I accidentally washed and dried my washcloth in the washer and dryer. It withstood the washer pretty well, but of course, it shrank in the dryer. This is definitely an item that needs a lot of care and drying on a completely flat surface and blocking to maintain its original shape. Also, the only kinds of Bamboo yarns I have seen so far have had a lot of plies and there was a tendency for the yarn to be split by the knitting needles. Recommendations I have seen say to use blunt ended knitting needles when using Bamboo yarn to prevent splitting. I would second that recommendation.

I'm not going to give Bamboo a "nose" rating since I've already done that. However, I will suggest that you try some soon!

I used these sites for information when writing this article:
Bamboo Fabric Store
Yarn Traders

No comments: