Monday, December 3, 2007

Bucilla Doodle-Loom Product Review

I recently purchased a Bucilla Doodle-Loom in the hopes of being able to make pom-poms for hats faster and easier. I had "graduated" from making my own cardboard pom-pom forms to using a cheap pom-pom making set from Wal-Mart; I'm not sure of the brand, but it had three little plastic circles that could nest inside one another. The instructions only partially made sense, but it didn't do too badly at helping to make a decent pom-pom, although it was a bit tricky to use. So, I purchased the Doodle-Loom at Hobby Lobby ($5.99 plus tax) in the hopes of streamlining the pom-pom process.

The packaging makes the Doodle-Loom look impressive. Mine came in a little plastic zipper "purse" with a little corded handle. The looms themselves come nested in a plastic form and you get the instructions and a "project worksheet." "No knitting knowledge required" says the package. Well, for a pom-pom, I wouldn't expect to need to know how to knit. But, the professional look of the packaging was encouraging.

I took the looms out in the van on the way home (my hubby was driving) because I was impatient and wanted to try the loom. There were 3 looms in the package, in small, medium and large sizes. The instructions are pretty clear, although they make me wonder a little bit. You'd have to read them to see what I am talking about. It's a little complicated. I used some Caron Simply Soft and was not able to make a satisfactory pom-pom. I've tried a couple of times and can't get either the small or the medium to make a satisfactory pom-pom. I think the main problem is loading the pom-pom loom with enough yarn to make a full pom-pom. Even if you fill the loom to the bursting point with yarn, you don't wind up with enough yarn to make the pom-pom full enough, although I came pretty close with the last one I tried to make. I think if I tried, I could make a good pom-pom with the Doodle-Loom, it will just take some practice.

All in all, how does the Doodle-Loom make out? The packaging is pretty good, although all the plastic and stuff probably contributes to the somewhat high price for a few bits of plastic. The Looms themselves seem pretty sturdy; they' re not going to break any time soon. The instructions are not great, but they're not too bad. It's hard to make a good pom-pom, but part of my failure is that I need to practice with the looms. The project sheet seemed like pretty much of a joke to me, I could have done without it. I can't give the product a totally bad review even though I can't get a good result because I believe part of the problem is operator error. Therefore, I can't recommend you buy this product yet, but I can say that the price is relatively low if you feel like taking a chance.

The product, on the whole, averages out to be about 3 noses (medium smelly) only because I'm giving it a medium review until I try a few more times to make a good pom-pom. I'll revisit this product in about a month to give an update.

'Tis the Season to be Knitting


Note on spelling: "Pom-Pom" is the way I have always spelled the word for those little fuzzy yarn balls you make by wrapping yarn around something, tying it, and cutting the loops.

No comments: