Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Recovering nicely

I've been sick the last couple of days, and it's been impossible for me to post. I'm glad to be at least halfway up and running, and can sick up in bed and type away on my laptop.

To that end, I can't think of very much to review today, given that my head is aching and my stomach is still doing flip-flops.

The best I can do right now might be to post about some of my favorite types of projects.

Hats: For nearly instant gratification you can't beat a little hat. Some of the longer toboggans take a while, but a little plain knit with ribbing cuff hat is oh so short and sweet. The most complicated part of this is that I like to do a kitchener cast on so the cast on edge looks really good. Even better if you're familiar with it is knitting in the round so that you don't have a seam. Or, just knit a tube. It works. Believe me. I'll try to post on this later.

Socks: Not always instant gratification, but almost always nice to finish and wear. Especially when using natural fibers. In fact, unless you have some really soft and fluffy yarn you want to make something like a pair of slippers out of, I wouldn't recommend anything other than a natural fiber for a pair of socks. Especially alpaca. That stuff is tops. Knit from the toe up with short row toes and heels for maximum speed and ease.

Aran Sweaters: I have only made toddler size or smaller, but I am fascinated with Aran stitiches, and the "pseudo-history" behind them. Do a search on this and you'll see what I mean. Whatever you find does not diminish the artistry of these things: check out www.clanarans.com and you will see what I mean.

How about my least favorite project? That's easy: gloves. I made ONE pair. That's all. Never again. Making all the fingers individually was a pain.

Well, that's all for now, I need to rest and recover. See everybody later!

No comments: