Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Christmas Yarn Wish List

OK, so I've given up on the noses rating system temporarily. Just felt really out of it the last few days. I'll get back to it soon.

In the meantime, I'd like to present my Christmas Wish List, just in time for Thanksgiving, of the yarns I would most like to receive:

  • I would absolutely love to try yarn made from Milk Protein; it sounds fascinating! To see some examples and info, go here: instead of drinking wear it. This is far enough off the beaten pack to pique my interest big time.
  • Soy is another interesting idea in yarn. See Soy Silk. This would have the plus of not aggravating allergies, unless, of course, you are allergic to soy. But, I gather, that allergy is fairly rare? At least, if you want a "hypoallergenic" baby formula soy is always pushed first. At any rate, I would love to be able to find out how this yarn works up and feels.
  • One I have already used before and would love to use again is Alpaca. It was soft, and although I used a fingering weight yarn, the resulting socks were very soft, warm and comfortable. And I love to visualize the "cute" Alpacas milling around as I knit.
  • I have also used Bamboo. I loved the finished product, but with the particular yarn I used, the strands seemed to separate too much. I would very much love to give this yarn (perhaps a different brand) a second chance. Read about bamboo yarn here. It's anti-bacterial! I didn't know that! I guess it was a good thing I made a washcloth out of it! (I use it in the shower every day)
  • Cotton. No specific examples here. You've seen it around, it's a staple. It's great. 'Nuff said.
  • REAL wool, whether super wash or not. Superwash if you absolutely don't want it to felt, or else not, if you're interested in the felting adventure. (What size is it going to be???? I'm not really that experienced with felting yet......)
  • OK, I'm not picky. Give me any yarn at all. Lots of it and in ugly colors if you must. If you've got something stashed you want me to try, drop me a line and we'll work something out.
OK, just so you know, the sites referenced herein are not intended as testimonials or recommendations for specific products; I just did a little quick and dirty research so you could see what I was talking about. Please do your own research and shopping around and for goodness sake try and find a good LYS (local yarn store) and go in and look and feel and smell for yourself before you even try to buy yarn online. I haven't been brave enough to buy online yet, although for the milk yarn I may have to forgo the personal perusal and take a leap of faith.

You know you are really too far into yarn when you want to go to your LYS for SEX (Stash Enhancement eXpedition).

No comments: